Saturday, September 29, 2007

When Life Gives You Apples...Make Apple Sauce!!

So, a couple weeks ago I was given a bag of freshly picked apples from my mother-in-law Gretchen. She got them from family friends Bob and GeGe who had over zealous apple trees that produced an abundance of fruit this year.
Being the together woman that I am I finally got around to doing something with them today. I had contemplated for days about what to do with so many apples. Apple pie, apple cobbler, apple muffins, apple bread etc. I finally decided on applesauce because I am trying to go the healthy route and I still have very fond memories of some homemade apple sauce I was served earlier this year by our friend Nancy in Virgina Beach. Delicious!

So Easy! AND so yummy. I am going to cook up some pork chops to go with it. Nothing better than pork chops and apple sauce.

So here is what I did...

(I took a few recipes and pared it down to a basic version. You can add your own touches like nutmeg or vanilla for something different)

Peel and quarter about 20 small apples (15 med, 10 large...you get the idea. As most of my friends know I don't really cook in exacts and I love to combine recipes.)

Put them in 2 cups of water, add a cup of packed brown sugar, 1.5 tsp of cinnamon, mix together and bring to a boil.

Turn heat down to a high med. Let boil for about 30 min or until the apples reach the consistency you would like.

I put the apples in a bowl and used a blender to make a nice chunky sauce but you can achieve that with a spoon or potato masher as well.

I loved making this because it made the house smell deliciously like fall, it was really simple to make while I was cleaning, AND you have a yummy healthy treat to enjoy!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow. That looks lovely. And easy! I had no idea. Now I'm out to look for an apple tree...

Katherine M. said...

Hi Joy! Thanks for posting the apple sauce recipe. I'm going to try it soon. If I remember right, you are a good cook. I hope you will post more recipes on your blog. How are the two of you? Miss you!

Jessica Rockey said...

WOW. Applesauce seems so intimidating. I've always been so freaked out of cooking or trying new things in general. I've done better this summer... I started an herb garden which made cooking more fun for me. Thanks for the inspiration! Looks delish!!!

Michelle said...

Ok Joy, I just made this. Mmmmm. I halved the sugar 'cause the apples seemed pretty sweet already. We used apples we picked from an orchard - so they were full of flavor. It was soooo yum. I didn't blend it at all so it's super chunky. I didn't really think I liked apple sauce but I do, oh i do! Thank you for the inspiration!!